PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 19:38
jcjeant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hi,

DW
What makes your assertion doubtful for me is that if Airbus truly ever felt that way then they would not have put a stall warning in the aircraft in the first place - yet they did. So from an engineering perspective at least, Airbus always knew it was possible.
Incorrect
This is a mandatory specification from regulators .. nothing to do with any Airbus decision.
As for a Airbus be able to not stall .. it's true .. for Airbus Industrie (or EADS)
This is black on white from Airbus
No training necessary for stall condition
This is one of the point in their commercial incentive ... low cost training

Note (from BEA report N°3 page 63)
 Airbus

The procedures were modified by Airbus in May 2010: replacement of the “Stall warning”
additional abnormal procedure by the “Stall recovery” and “Stall warning at lift-off”
procedures.
Before this date .. Airbus don't write about "Stall recovery" .. but instead .. "Stall warning"

And this is the change made after the AF447 accident (BEA report N°3 page 82) for the simulator training

5.1.3 Crew training

Training in a flight simulator

Additional session entitled “Unreliable IAS”:

 Summer 2009 (A320, A330/340)
 Booklet and briefing from the session: key technical points, HF and TEM (Threat and
Error Management) considerations
 Revision of emergency manoeuvres, at take-off and in cruise.
 High altitude flight in alternate law
Approach to stall, with triggering of the STALL warning
 Landing without airspeed measurement information
 Associated briefings (all cockpit crew):
o Weather radar
o Ice crystals

Note1: This information has been integrated into the type ratings.

Note 2: The stall procedures were modified following the modification of the STALL procedures by the
manufacturer, as indicated in 1.18.
Yet .. nothing about training for stall recovery ..........

Ice crystals ? .. well I wonder what can be a training in flight simulator for "ice crystals" ....
A employee of the training center trowing ice crystals on the simulator casing ?

I am almost certain that these new workouts are not going to make more significant progress in terms of flight safety.
Only the real flight training will provide pilots with the mastery of certain events
More flight simulator training for this kind of event it's just like put a additional (redundant) fire alarm horn near another instead construct more fire escapes
You can't save lifes with a supplementary horn .. you can just spare money for short term .. but problem not solved (I was there)

Last edited by jcjeant; 1st Sep 2011 at 20:20.