PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened during your flight test ? :o)
Old 22nd Oct 2002, 20:33
OBK!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Examiner: A Tornado pilot (need I say nemore!?)

Yes?

Ineventful departure, standard....yet with engine failure after takeoff "where would you land"...in that field ahead "ok, good". I suppose as long as you don't say "back at the airfield" you pass that part!.

Anyway, the route I was told to plan was a bit of a b****. Straight between gliding (kirton lindsey) and parachutting (hibaldstow).....to find they where both active.

Had to detour around them to the south..into a Matz (with permission of course) to the intended waypoint....a mast about 150ft (H). Found it spot on, now then what next.

The route took me north....overhead humberside airport, easy peasy they where very kind. Ok, "have you ever been to Melbourne kid?"..."erh, no"...."ok, let's go to Melbourne". This was the diversion I guess!

Go to what I thought was Melbourne, but wasn't. It was Pocklington...slight south (I think). Found Melbourne after some circling. Sorted.

Now then "foggles on captain, I have control"...."erh, ok".

Took us to FL080 north of L705 class A airway, which base was FL055....must remember, must remember, must remember, must remember...DONT GO THERE!

Now then, examiner still has control...."tell me what I am doing with the aircraft". So he does some show off stuff I guess they got taught in the RAF and all I said was "yeh, up, left and up, yeh, down".

5 minutes later, some instrument flying, nice and neat. Oh! must remember, L705! (Don't worry, I didn't touch it )

did the 180* turn, nicely executed.

Ok foggles off. "Can you read that little warning panel down there for me, I have control"....the warning panel being under the ADF/RMI gauge, stuff about operating with 4 passengers, so I read it. "ok read it again"....."WTF!!"...so I read it again.

"Ok thats fine.....you have control..RECOVER!"......by this time we where hurtling towards the ground in a spiral dive. He managed to do it soooooooo stealthly! ARGH! Anyway I enjoyed, I gave him a hard time during the recovery, making the wings crank (Pa28 this was in).

Back to the airfield, 3000ft now, clouds coming up. Descended to avoid IMC (mandatory failure if you fly in clouds!). 3 circuits, flapless, glide, and normal...

Best landing to date I have ever done was in the skills test, and to date i I have 124hrs. Lucky me

Oh, I Passed