PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 15:55
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Exascot
How cheap? The last trip I made from Maun all the way to Jo'berg was free.
A combi is a Volkswagen Minibus with 15 passengers (sometimes there's 20 or more) including luggage on your lap (unless you get a "local bus" which, if going long distances will have a trailer for luggage)
And I never had to have chickens on my lap, but I did see some people who had them on their laps once.

@Pinante and EVERYONE ELSE
DON'T BRING EUROS OR DOLLARS OR ANY OTHER CURRENCY, except for the small amount you will need to get to where you are going.
There are ATM's everywhere (OK, not in the middle of the Kalahari, but that's not where you're starting) and they don't charge anywhere near as much as the Bureau de Change does. I found that if I went to the Bank and used my ATM to withdraw from my US account, I got charged a total of USD 5.00 MAXIMUM to make the withdrawal, and I got the EXACT exchange rate for that day. When I figured out how much money I could have saved by not bringing cash, I cried... literally... it was HUNDREDS of US dollars.
DO CHECK with your bank to make sure that you can make a withdrawal from the ATM's in whatever country you are going to.

Translating documents, according to my recollection of what I read on the CAA websites for Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Tanzania, Malawi, and Kenya, the translations must be done and certified by someone recognized by the CAA (not the embassy) for the "pilot" documents, and by the immigration department for the non-pilot documents - some documents are required by BOTH the CAA and immigration and might, theoretically, have to be translated twice.