PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Flight Planning Tricks, Short Cuts etc
Old 1st Sep 2011, 16:04
training wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ReverseFlight
training wheels, as you recall, I sat Flight Planning even before you (hazy memories now ...) but one piece of advice which Rob Avery gives is not to use the flight planning forms in the exam at all because these slow you down and no marks are given for neatness or completeness (they go straight into the shredding bin at the end of the exam). For future generations of candidates, better just to rely on annotations to your own flight diagrams (takeoff, climb, cruise, descent etc).
RF, I used both the AFT and Rob Avery notes for studying flight planning. I found Rob's method of drawing diagrams and annotating them just as time consuming as using the flight plan forms. I ended up using the AFT method with the flight forms since it allowed the calculations to be performed 'mechanically' .. after hundreds of practice runs, you get into a pattern of filling in the boxes on the form without even having to think.

I guess it's what suits you best as an individual.. some people find it easier drawing diagrams and seeing the overall big picture from take-off to descent .. others like myself find it easier to methodically number crunch just like a human FMC