PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio Nav. and Flight Simulators.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2002, 20:17
FormationFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I too recommand RANT from PPL thru IMC thru to IR.

Re simulators - neither the online simulator (which I have played with - and can be downloaded & used offline) nor RANT are simulators. They are radio nav trainers.

Instrument flying & radio nav is one of the few area where PCs can really excel at training. You see - its not about experiencing it in the air..the problem is one of mental capacity - and if you have to think about which way the needles are pointing and what it all means in the air then you are using up vital capacity and wasting vital airtime (incl money).

By using these nav aid tutors on the ground you can truely start to understand how to use & interpret these instruments. I cannot say enough good things about using these tutors...particularly RANT.

However. for PPL RANT is possibly a little expensive..mainly due to the actual content of he PPL is really only VOR, ADF homing (not tracking....just homing with no allowance for wind) and DME, possibly GPS if fitted and you have a kind instructor...

RANT is really aimed at the IMC Rating & IR - and foir these its invaluable....and I recommend it to my students.

So if you intend to get an IMC rating at a later date the RANT product certainly is worth the money and is one of the best on the market - and the ONLY one I know that covers ADF dip.

FF