PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Airways Trainee First Officer
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:31
concorde77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DGCA CLASS 1 doubt

Hi there aroumika
I got my Lasik done long before i did my initial DGCA class 1 or even class 2. So i had no need to inform DGCA.
is there any procedure to go through with DGCA before going in for LASIK? do we require their permission? how do you go about this?
1.If you are currently flying you definitively need to inform DGCA before doing the procedure.If you are not it always better to inform them since you have done your DGCA CLASS 1 already
2. does DGCA have any prescribed or suggested doctors for LASIK or can this be done anywhere
?
No idea but i think they will have people in mind.

3) what is the lay-off period from flight duty after a LASIK procedure is done and is another DGCA medical required soon after as well?
Both DGCA and the private surgeon who is going to perform the procedure would check whether your eye are fit you surgery and only then they would do it. My bud who wanted to have lasik done could get it done because the thickness of cornea by nature was not so good for him. I have heard of a case in IAM bangalore where the doctors became very angry that a student pilot did inform them prior to doing his LASIK.DCGA medical examiner would check your eye only after six months( this was the time period told to me- Since it was my initial DCGA class 1 and i am a student pilot ) from the date of your procedure. If you are in flying currently you would be laid off for three months then the doc will check your eye and certify you fit.Then you will resume service .

4) is there a risk of being temporarily or permanently declared medically unfit due to LASIK?
I haven't heard of any. The technology that they use these days is very very good. But still where there is risk when the word surgery is involved. But is very very low.

5) does any airline facilitate / help a pilot in need of LASIK by helping out with the procedures involved with DGCA?
I dont know for sure . But i dont like airline will help in this. They would is life important procedure that are very essential. LASIK is almost like a cosmetic surgery. The decision on lasik is solely made by you and you only. I know people who have an eye power of -4.5 and are pilots in service . So for your power you dont need to worry much.

Does any one here had lasik and are in service with an airline? Is a lasik candidate have any difficulties compared to a normal candidate wearing glasses with say a power like -2.5 in the interview table?

This is gono be my first CLASS 1 renewal would love to know what are the test done in the renewal apart from the special eye tests in my case?

Also would like a heads up on whether to go to IAM Bangalore or AFCME Delhi ?

Cheers . Happy landings