PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 1st Sep 2011, 13:37
Jonty

Received 18 Likes on 1 Post
My 2p worth.

I think we operate modern aircraft much closer to the edge of the performance envelope than we used to with first or second generation jets. Modern jets fly higher, further, carry more payload, for less fuel than ever before. The whole sale installation of computers and the increase in computing power has made this possible. The aircraft need to be flown with much more accuracy than ever before to achieve the required performance, where 1 or 2 knots could make all the difference.

This step change in aircraft performance has, however, not been followed up with a change in pilot training. Everything is fine while the computers are working correctly, however its only when things start going wrong that the pilots realise just how close to the edge of the performance envelope they are. And being able to handle a big jet aircraft at the edge of its envelope while stuff is going wrong around you is not something civilian pilots are trained for.

It is the training that needs to change not the aircraft.

When I converted to a 3rd generation jet about 3 years ago, one of the first things the instructor said was "its impossible to stall this aircraft". Well tell that to the crew of the Air France 330. That phrase still plays on my mind every time I look at the Unreliable Air Speed QRH checklist.