PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Competency
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 12:18
SASless

Received 525 Likes on 220 Posts
they go away and do a VFR day-job until they have gained the necessary skills to move on.
As you continue to mention a "Single Simulator Ride Screening Process"....and added to the comment above....pray tell what the hell you are talking about?
Are you IFR/Instrument-centric in your view of what constitutes "Minimum Ability"?

You seem to have fallen prey to thinking what is familiar is the standard.

IFR flight in helicopters is only a very small part of the spectrum of uses....and those that are damn good at IFR flight usually prove to be hopeless at Long Lining, Mustering, or any number of other very common utilizations of the helicopter.

Let's ask theses questions of those who responded to your survey.....

Are you fully competent?

Are you in need of remedial training?

Is it only others that fall short in your expectations?

Would you be in your current position if Minimum Standards were raised?

If you are a "Standards Pilot", "Training Captain", "Check Pilot".....do you fly to the same standards you insist upon while performing in that role when you fly the line as an Operational Pilot? If selected for Supervisory duties....do you continue to fly normal operations or are you purely a Management Pilot?

I'll ask you Geoffers.....what traits should those passing judgement on other's fitness to fly themselves possess? Should they pass the same checkrides their subordinates do....or should they actually have to maintain higher standards?

In my view....assuming the role of a "supervisory pilot" should also qualify as "Cross one has to bear!" as upon assuming that role....one has to lead by example and also remain current in field operations of all kinds....the whole time setting the example for anyone that shares the cockpit or work place with him.

Final question for you....have you failed anyone on a Check Ride?

I failed the Chief Pilot of an Oil Company owned helicopter operation....and later the owner of a helicopter being trained. Both later passed....one after an attitude check and a decision to comply with the training standards and the other with a bit more training to make up for a lack of overall experience.

The really interesting failure was when as a Company Check Airman I was being "checked" by the FAA while giving a Check ride one of our company pilots. I failed the guy.....the FAA guy said he would have passed him....I said I did not care as he did not meet our published company standards. A note....the FAA guy and the failed company pilot were friends and served in the same National Guard Helicopter Unit.

When you see these incompetent pilots....do you "fail" them? Do you put your customer in the position of acknowledging the situation such they have to consider the legal issues of continuing the employment of the individual without taking remedial action? If you have....how did the customer handle the situation....gracefully and with gratitude for ferreting out a potential problem?

Last edited by SASless; 1st Sep 2011 at 12:31.