PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 10:22
Clandestino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rudderrudderrat
Do most other aircraft have a stick shaker as a stall warning?
Shakers are installed if natural pre-stall buffet is too weak to be recognized (or non-existent). I hope final report addresses whether the Airbus got through certification too easily or FBW Airbi indeed have sufficient natural buffet to warrant omitting the stickshaker. I agree that with sidestick, effective shaker needn't be much larger than those used on modern cellphones.

(Cavalry Charge, ECAM Dings, ALT Alert etc)
All transient and not going off simultaneously with stall warning. IIRC even if they were trigered simultaneously with stall, stall warning overrides all other audio alerts.

Originally Posted by thermostat
how to recover from a high altitude stall
Same way that you recover from mid or low alt stall. Hint: therr's difference between approach to stall and stall itself, which is seldom appreciated on PPRuNe.

Originally Posted by BOAC
'cessation' of the warning was recognised
If this theory is congfirmed by HF group, that would show complete incap on the PF side. Unstalling by pull? Only when flying inverted or you're doing some very serious aerobatics.

Before AF447 event, there was NO Stall Warning QRH procedure
Because it was assumed that pilots understood stall & recovery from day one and never forgot it. Whooops.....

Originally Posted by TJHardwood
I respectfully submit that the very length of these various threads on AF447 in itself indicates a widespread enough fear in many quarters that other high altitude UAS events on various aircraft could all too easily end equally fatally (under circumstances identical or very similar to AF447).......
Little less respectfully, I offer alternative explanation: as usual, fatal accident wakes many up to the reality of aviation being a very hazardous game. Length of the thread is due to inability to lay our fears to sleep with usual lithany of "It was only loco/Africa/Russia/Asia/Latin America/cargo anyway"