PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 1st Sep 2011, 06:36
gatbusdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick. I appreciate there are many out there who know the requirements for RVSM.

I have copied this from our MEL with regards autopilots. B is obviously the rectification interval, 3 is the number of autopilots installed on the 757, 0 is the number required for dispatch (sorry for those that knew that). It is a popular misconception that you must have autopilots engaged to be able to fly in RVSM airspace. One occasion when hand flying to the top of climb I was informed by the f/o, as we were passing FL280, that I should have the a/p in to remain RVSM compliant. I duly engaged it, then showed him the books at the top of climb.

I did laugh at the hate mail article yesterday about pampered pilots that can't fly. I am very fortunate to work for a company that actively encourages hand flying. Why on earth do we sign up for the job? It certainly wasn't because I enjoy pushing buttons and watching the automatics fly the aeroplane (let me point out that there is clearly a time and a place for everything). Admittedly, not every pilot will take the opportunity to hand fly, but the company runs manual handling sims to cater for them.

B 3 0 (M) Except for ETOPS operations, all may
be inoperative provided:
a) At least one FCC power circuit breaker
remains in,
b) All three FCC SERVO circuit breakers
are pulled and collared, and
c) Number of flight segments and segment
duration is acceptable to flight crew.
NOTE: Any mode that functions normally
may be used.

OPERATIONS NOTE
3 Autopilots must be operative for LAND 3 status.
2 Autopilots must be operative for LAND 2 status.
An Altitude Hold function is required for RVSM airspace.

Last edited by gatbusdriver; 1st Sep 2011 at 07:17.