PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is Australia its own Worst Enemy?
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 06:15
MTOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juliar was on the radio ("rayyydieo") today saying that the High Court decision puts the Australian (illegal/irregular, call it what you will) immigration situation into a completely new light, which translates into "I'll be able to spin (yet another) policy shift tomorrow that I couldn't possibly have attempted to get away with yesterday".

While Nauru might now be back on the (very edge of the proverbial) table, I think that Labor still recognises it, no matter how much sense it may make, as absolute political suicide. For that reason, I think they'll opt for onshore processing ahead of Nauru. Even though that will be (yet another) unmitigated disaster, as once the economic immigrants are onshore, David Manne and his team will be able, at taxpayers' (great) expense, to use every trick in the book to extend their stay here.

Ministerial responsibility seems to be a tradition no longer in place in Australian politics. If it was, Chris Bowen would have fallen on his sword yesterday, within minutes of the High Court decision being made public. But then again, he should have done that on about six occasions since he became Minister for Cassonova*.

(*Completely f***ing up everything he touches.)