PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight Training Options (NZ)
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 05:10
freefallnz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight Training Options (NZ)

Hey All,

I’m looking for some advice on options for flight training for next year. My aim is to fly in the airlines with Air New Zealand being a favoured choice once I finally get there. I currently hold a PPL with around 100 hours and I’m in my final year at school. So basically I have got the following in mind already.

1: Continue through the Tauranga Aero club (which has new partnership with Sunair) to gain CPL, MEIR, C-CAT and then possibly gain employment with them as an instructor and work up to scenic’s/charter and onto the twins (It has been suggested that employment would be there if I trained through them). This would mean attempting to self fund my way through this.

2: Train through an Air New Zealand FTO and gain the basic diploma/degree. If I did choose this option, I would look at applying for Massey and Nelson Aviation College. The benefit of this is there is some loan funding available and also possibly getting a degree (Massey). The downside is higher cost and possibly no job at the end of it.

Also, how much emphasis will be placed on whether a pilot has trained through an Air NZ FTO when it comes to recruitment for the group? Will not through one make a significant difference to employment or not?

So, can you offer suggestions or opinions on what they feel would be a good option to choose, or else suggest other routes.

Thanks in advance