PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 1st Sep 2011, 04:59
TJHarwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PJ2 @ #3327

Sorry for delayed reply.

I could not agree more, particularly with your following paragraph:

"I think that is what was meant when someone else here said that automation was an assistant to the pilot; it is most certainly not a third or fourth pilot but as that dangerous mentality gets even more established, especially with managements and pilots who have flown nothing but automated aircraft, the way back becomes very difficult because fear builds upon fear and soon one is afraid to fly. Seen it, and I doubt very much whether this was ever the original intent of those who contemplated using microprocessors to solve the problems of flight."

The erroneous perception of automation seems to seep into airline cultures, training and SOPs, and I hope the "human factors" experts do not duck their challenge and spell it out.

For all the improvements in safety, particularly in relation to collisions and CFIT (as you say), I would be surprised if this incident (a temporary UAS issue) would have brought down an airliner 25 years ago in the same conditions (whether Concorde/A300/TriStar/DC10/B747, to cover the then range of major manufacturers).

Why it is so frustrating......