PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wikileaks releases unredacted USA State Dept files....
Old 1st Sep 2011, 01:03
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roadster280

I can't help thinking that this issue is one where those who have served and those who haven't make their respective backgrounds obvious.

I cannot conceive of a soldier/sailor/airman who would deliberately disclose classified information.
What about Bradley Manning? Not that I approve of what he did, but the fact is he was a soldier and did deliberately leak classified information.

It is drummed in from day 1 week 1, that such action is such a massive no-no that you may as well consider your life to be over. In the UK, it is certainly an offence against the Official Secrets Act, if not Treason. Both carry stiff penalties, especially for serving staff.
Yes, but

1.) Julian Assange is a civilian, not a government official or military personnel.
2.) It's not clear if the information he released will cause significant damage (and we've heard all sorts of hype about the danger of the information he's currently released).
3.) It's possible the government decrypted his insurance file and released it to frame WikiLeaks for it as to justify shutting the site down. After all, if you can't find a crisis to exploit, just make your own.

ColinB

The problem here is that the original source is an allegation in a press article and all that implies. It is not fact only a journalists view which may reflect his source and their agenda.
Correct.