PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 31st Aug 2011, 18:26
Phantom Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

I thought this subject had already been thrashed to death on previous threads.

I will say again--Today, we operate in RVSM/RNP/RNav STARs and SIDs (even in China), all of which require maximum accuracy in flying which only automation can supply. Regrettably, manual flying in todays ATC environment is not only undesirable but is actively discouraged by enlightened management, and quite rightly so.

However, with regard to erosion of manual flying skills-undoubtedly this problem has to be addressed. I would suggest we start from basics. Not everyone can kick off flying fast jets where manual flying is the order of the day. But even that background offers no guarantees; (my oft quoted favourite--"The older I get, the better I was").

So for those following the civilian route, general aviation is the way to climb the ladder (rather than stepping straight into the cockpit of an A320). However, we all know the problems of "Parker Pen hours" and the lack of proper oversight when compared to military aviation (no disrespect intended).

But once in the airline environment, one should easily be able to weed out the incompetents, and I believe the system works well today in established companies. Unfortunately, this may not always be the case.

I would suggest that we start with modifying recurrent training in the sim. Let's cut down on lengthy LOFT exercises, programming MCDU's, (use the fixed based trainer), 10 minutes of low vis taxi, etc, etc. Not saying cancel altogether, just spend more time on important stuff such as manual flown raw data approaches in cross winds.

The simulator is the place to do this, not line flying with revenue pax on board in challenging ATC environments where all hands need to be on deck monitoring what is going on, not monitoring whether the flight path is being accurately flown, be it by young F/o or crusty old (fatigued) Captain.

"The older I get, the better I was...."