PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Speed tape on PFD
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2002, 16:03
EGGW

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Having flown the Airbus FBW for 9 years now, i feel suitably qualified to comment on this thread.

Lets face it go-arounds are a rare event, and occasions when you can expect them you can prepare yourself for way in advance of the approach. However those rare occasions when its a clear night, ATC or you screw the approach and you are hot and high for example, are the most often badly executed missed approaches. However, good practice of these manueuvres during proficiency checks can help reduce these problems.
There are however a few gotchas on the early 320's without the pop-up flight directors, on a visual or non-precision approach. When using the "bird" you must always call "Kill the bird" (FPV director) otherwise you can get confused with the correct pitch setting for a go-around. The more modern pop-up flight directors can be fitted in the older aircraft however.
The bottom line however, is its is still an aeroplane, and can be flown just using pitch, approx 15 degrees on 2 engines, until you are heading away from terra firma.
Also as soon as you are climbing away safely you can reduce power to the climb gate, you don't have to keep TOGA power selected. This will keep things under control, and less frantic. We certainly used to do this on the 737-300, especially the B2 variety.

The Gulf Air accident was no matter how you look at it, was a complete and utter screw up by the crew. There was a large gap in character between the two pilots. The Captain had scraped through his command training, the co-pilot had very littel experience. Also the Captain was well known as being a very confident character, despite being not that well regarded by his peers. The co-pilot was probably dominated by the Captain, and was not confident enough to speak up, a great shame.
I know its never an easy thing to speak up when the skipper make a large booboo, but as a Captain, i ALWAYS respect an F/O pointing out something i've got wrong when important.