PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indian class 1 medical- eyesight issue
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2011, 12:10
concorde77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking DGCA -lasik

Hi there guys
I have a doubt regarding the DGCA medicals .I have done both my class 2 and class 1 medical. I have had LASIK surgery on both my eyes around three and half years back. My power was around -3 before I did the surgery. Before going to DCGA medical I went to eye test with 4 eye hospitals ( the best one in my city) all declared that I have 6/6 vision. In my class 2 also I was declared that I have 6/6 vision. But in my class one the eye doctor told that I have a power of -0.5(axis -65) in my right eye alone .he told my left eye has 6/6 vision. After which he told me to get a special OCT scan just to check the health of my cornea. End of the day the doc told that everything is fine. But that I have to wear glasses while flying alone. He told that if I would come for a normal eye test he would have not given me glass .he said there is just a minute power in right eye alone and some minute residual power would be there even after Lasik ( he told that normal).
When my DGCA class one arrived 3 months later. My DGCA class one medical says “HAS MET PRESCRIBED MEDICAL STANDARDS. Below this there is a limitations section –this section in blank. Below this that is a section call recommendation. In which 3 codes are given. The explanation for these codes were given at the back.
.33- to exercise the privileges of the glasses with corrective Glasses
.82 – Advised carriage spare set of spectacles while flying
.174- All Review at IAM/AFCME

I have 4 questions
1. I stay in chennai ,India. There is a Airforce base here that does in the renewal of class 1 medical(Senior Medical Officer,Air Force Station,Tambaram,Chennai 600046) . Can do my class 1 renewal here or should I go only to an IAM Bangalore / DELHI AFCME centre.?
2. Does the word review mean renewal?
3. As I have said earlier I have done lasik already . But still the dgca class 1 doctor has prescribed specs for me. When I go for an interview with an airline would I be looked at in a different way for this? That is even though I do better than the other guys in the interview the fact that I have done a lasik am still wearing glasses ,( Right eye -0.5, left eye -6/6 ) is that going to weigh down heavily on me .
4. Are IAM and AFCME medical centers very strict compared to the civil medical centers like Apollo hospital?
5. Which is stricter IAM or AFCME ? Would like to take my renewal with the stricter center ?I would be starting my flight training soon and want to get rid of this baggage soon !
Thanks a million for your time. Cheers