PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2011, 10:49
truefaith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Qualification

Originally Posted by flyingpiglet9
If I have GCSE standard only (something like Singapore GCE O level), does this mean SQ will not consider it at all?

do have reasonable good grade which can further my studies, but due to some reason, I have to work immediately, giving up my education.
Good question!

You have to understand, with Singapore Goverrnment opening job recruitment policy to foreigners, and including foreigners applying for ad-initio, there are thousands and hundreds of application SIA go through.

SIA just went to India to do recruitment, there are better academic candidates around. With a GCSE qualification, marks no special to SIA even if you are a red passport holders or even completed National Service. Thus, getting into SIA can be difficult.

One of the ways to make you "stand out" of the application is that Singapore Government has to tighten the foreign labour law. Once it is tightened, the locals get job much more easily. Make sense?

You definitely have the reason to apply! Financial circumstance or family matters that does not allow you to continue to study is understandable and it is sympathetic. You have to convince the interviewers why they should consider you. However, the first step is, how are you going to land an interview first despite there are so many outsanding applicants applying for SIA cadetship?

back to square one, Mr. Tharman Shanmugaratnam is one in-charge. Once the foreign employment policy is resolved (especially for pilots), the bottle neck will slowly open to the locals.

My suggestion -> One possible way to standout your application is clearing all 14 papers (including the world tougest CAAS Navigation papers) in one attempt all by yourself. Clearing those papers alone by yourself is superb impressive! Everybody who has struggled through the ATPL papers will know this is the biggest achievement. Future employer (referring to SIA) definitely knew that you have the determination and more or less proven you are hardworking. Thus, they might consider to interview you.

If you have successfully secured for an interview with SIA (based on your current GCSE qualification), it is purely based on your luck! SIA likes you, they will consider you and take you in. If they do not like you, you will be hammered with tough questions. (this is the usual case) in the interview. SIA has thousands of cadetship applications and I am afraid they do not really bother how beautiful your resume is. Ab-initio job application is different from other jobs, SIA cadetship application screener knew that nice resume does not mean you have good attitude, or you can work. They are all "seasoned" in screening application and they knew what to lookout for.

Last edited by truefaith; 31st Aug 2011 at 10:59.