PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dirty dive engine fire drill
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2011, 10:07
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right clean v dirty. This applys to twins and singles.

My thoughts.

You have an aircraft of suspect structural integrity.

High speed even at flight idle/min power/min throttle what ever your type has the prop will still be driven by the air flow. High speed causes high back pressures in the engine therefore more likely to cause structural failure of the engine.

High rpm drives the fuel pump faster so more fuel to the fire.

High speed more structural loads to the airframe which will be degrading every second and going soft with the heat.

Gear down will absorb some energy, more that gear up.

Low speed elevator less responsive so less likely for you to over control and less load on the airframe.

Again for roll.

Once your services are out, failures of other systems don't make you have more work to do in limited time period. Sky above you is useless as the saying goes.

I was always taught that you have 7 mins with an uncontained engine fire in an in wing engine. Then the spar goes.

I do wonder though about the CPL test singles V twins.

I did IR first then CPL and when I saw all the stuff we would have to do in the Single I thought how much to do it in the twin 450 quid. Ta very much I will stick to banging around at 120 knots on the nav. An engine failure and go-around, bread and butter after the IR. Glide approaches and the other exercises in a single no thanks.

SEP rating on my CPL is exactly the same as someones who did there CPL on a complex single. MInd you I have never flown a complex single and I very much doudt 90% of CPL will ever fly one again after there CPL test. Seems a whole load of pointless training to me.

And all the instructor course seem to focus to much about the nitty gritty of flying. When in my opinion they should focus more about how students learn and how to supply information to the student to learn, and how to set up an enviroment which the student can learn in. The pre course flight should test all the emergencys etc and if the potential FI can't do them or doesn't know them tell them to bugger off until they can.