PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2011, 05:48
beamer

Received 68 Likes on 26 Posts
I have now reached the grand old age of 'heinz varieties' and thus the end is now in sight. I have been paid to fly aircraft for thirty five years and thus have had a pretty good run. Some poor decisions in the past mean that whilst my retirement income will be ok it nontheless pales when compared to some of my contempories. Like most, my eyesight is not what is was - too old for laser surgery (even if it were approved ) so reading glasses it is - hearing still fine and not overweight, well not much anyway ! I cannot afford to go at 60 but will certainly not go on to 65 or even close to it but the prospect of someone from the crewing department calling me to fly a deep night in my mid-sixties fills me with gloom and its not going to happen.

We have a generation of First Officers in many airlines who are being held back by the ever-changing goalposts and the slavish adherence to seniority.
Many of these guys are ready for Command courses now but what can they do - hang on where they are for ever and a day consoling themselves about their pensions or take a chance and move to a new operator where command chances may be improved ? A good First Officer with a strong training background and relevant experience should be ready for command after 3-5 years in the role - obviously some take longer than others and sadly some never quite make the grade; the good ones however, now have to sit on their hands year after year losing interest and professional pride in what they do from time to time - inevitably.

I do not buy the argument that 'senior' pilots, well into their sixties, on very strong financial packages, have no responsibility to their younger colleagues.
This will be the last generation of pilots who retire on mega-pensions, multiple homes, aircraft, boats etc !