PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR Reporting Points
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2011, 04:15
TriMedGroup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFR Reporting Points

Hi,

I have a query regarding AIP ENR 1.10 para 3.4, re produced below;

"For flights not operating along an ATS route, reporting points should be provided in item 15 (of the flight notification) for locations approximately 30 minutes or 200NM apart."

Basically I hear aircraft depart all the time that are not operating on an ATS route eg. Mildura-Albury and they just give an estimate for the destination direct. The example route is well in excess of the 200NM and unless in a jet well over the 30 minute interval. Are they doing the in-correct thing but no one really cares? I will generally try and plan using existing waypoints within a few miles of track, or just use a Bearing/Distance eg. MIA104075, but planning would be a lot easier if i could just put DCT every time.

Is the reporting requirement a throwback to pre RNAV days where position fixes using NDB, VOR and DME were the only option and no one bothers now as the majority of aircraft have RNAV capability? Or is it that if you expect to be radar identified you dont bother?

Also if anyone knows of flight planning software that lets you insert bearing/distance into the plan, or if someone knows how to do it with command flight planner then please let me know!

Just something that has been bugging me for a while!

Cheers