PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2011, 22:35
Linktrained

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PF may have had very much less hand flying at cruising level than either PNF or the Captain. And on this occasion it would have been sudden, not premeditated - and with a limited panel. (Only the PNF's instrument panel is recorded. it is assumed that the PF's panel would have been the same.)

When I asked how often pilots hand flew an A330, (let alone at cruising level, where some replies suggested that it requires more concentration) the responses were somewhere between "not if I can help it" to " my Company does not allow me to ..." ( Interesting to know the logic.)

All that I have seen of PF's gliding experience was that he had held a gliding licence some years ago. That could be quite irrelevant - or not.

Someone may know just how accurately Simulators reproduce an A330 's performance at cruising level. How easy is it to hand fly when some of your instruments failed, even before you have started ? Is the Simulator stable in rough air, or do you have to struggle to keep the wings level ? How often is this practiced ?

This kind of training was usual using a Link Trainer, fifty or more years ago, even in rather minor airlines.

One of the American trunk carriers in about 1950, was in the middle of a pay dispute with their pilots and nearly ordered their next batch of aircraft to be made without autopilots... "Make them work..." Somebody said. (They had bean counters, too !)