PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Article about lack of hand flying skills - FAA concerned
Old 30th Aug 2011, 18:43
hf4you

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe that it is complacency. This is a challenging issue that defies easy answers. Automation is effective at the tedious job of handling the aircraft through hours of flight, monitoring multiple functions far better than the human can. The pilot's role moves from manipulator of the flight controls to a decision maker, and manager of the automation. However, the human is valued in the system for being able to detect and respond to unusual situations, and to catch automation failures. If the human can no longer fulfill the basic functions of flying the aircraft, that is a large concern. But how do we prevent the loss. Require the pilot to hand fly a certain number of sectors every month? Does that actually increase risk during those sectors? Increase simulator time?

Many pilots, such as myself, who enjoy the actual stick and rudder stuff, take up recreational flying as an outlet, but it also keeps the skills up. I fly gliders. I notice that Captain Pearson of Gimli glider fame, and Capt Sullenberger, of Hudson river fame also kept their skills up with glider flying.