PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklist Challenge and Response theory.
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2002, 12:27
Centaurus

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes - I understand the probable reason behind the Boeing philosophy of the PNF reading and answering at same time as well as the PF responding to Non Normals. But we never really know the real thinking behind it because Boeing won't tell us.

My question (rather badly put in retrospect) concerns the landing gear and flap challenge and response difference between the Normal and Non Normal landing checklist.

Talking to some old and bolds of the early B727 and 737-200 era, the policy by Boeing as interpreted then was for the Non Normal Landing checklist challenge to be the same as a Normal Landing checklist. That is: PNF calls Gear.....PF replies Down three greens. PNF calls Flaps......PF responds Fifteen Green light. Or whatever.

Somewhere along the way I believe the Boeing philosophy has been corrupted/misunderstood/improved? Who knows? Personally I am happy to call out Gear and get a single response
of Down Three Greens from the PF.

Same point on configuring by the first officer from a Bleeds on to a Bleeds off take off and vice-verce. Years ago this was a simple straightforward task completed in a few seconds without fanfare by a competent person. Normal "C" or "reverse C". The captain cocks an eye in that direction and Bob's your Uncle - job done.

Now the whole bleeds selection process smacks of massive precautionary overkill with the RH seat pilot carefully placing his fingers on one switch at a time while singing out a nervous query of "Confirm?" While the other pilot looks across and hollers "Confirmed". Repeat for all other switch selections. Meanwhile for a short time while all this cross-confirming is taking place it may be that no one is looking where the aeroplane is flying. I mean to say - is all this really necessary when it wasn't required all those years ago?