PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - the Triple 7
Thread: the Triple 7
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2011, 16:27
pax britanica

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts
the Triple 7

The 777

There is no doubt that the T7 is something of an engineering marvel its two main variants have phenomenal range, load carrying capability for Pax and cargo. It really does rule the long haul skies as the &44s gradually fly into the sunset and the A380 has yet to really make its mark in terms of numbers operational.
However I have to confess that I really do not like the T7 from a pax view point, I preferred the 744 and the A380 in my opinion is ina different class completely –doing a couple of recent trips comprising 380 connecting to T7 prompted me to write this and see if any others agree.
My gripes are
T7 is too narrow for 10 abreast in Y-luckily I fly mostly J
T7 struggles with cabin air refreshment –economic as those two engines are they don’t seem to cope well with the demands of cabin conditioning
T7 is noisy –overall noisy compared to the 380 and compared to the 744 sort of selectively noisy in as much as the fans have an irritating whine which moves up and down the scale as if the engines cannot hold a constant rpm and are always ‘hunting’ around a certain thrust setting in cruise.
T7 has an irritating wallowing flight path –not massively so but rather like the engine noise it seems a lot of the time to wallow gently around in roll.
So overall I really don’t like flying on it , will always choose a 380 ahead of it or a 747 or even a 330/340 . The other prompt for this little mini diatribe was reading that BA will go all T7 on LHR-HKG , one of my regular routes .

Is it just me?