PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Competency
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2011, 16:24
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Summary so far

Add what you have read to my PMs and you get a picture that looks like this:

5% -10% of the current global professional helicopter pilot workforce should not be there and heaven knows how they got there in the first place. (these I can usually spot within one sim ride).

Another 10% or so are sufficiently below the minimum competence level to suggest that for everyone's sake they go away and do a VFR day-job until they have gained the necessary skills to move on.

Maybe 10% could be good enough if only they received more/better training opportunities.

70%-75% of the journeyman aviators in our business do the job well enough provided they have enough continuity training.

5% are seriously good and impress the hell out of me.

If you get more than 100% then don't worry about it - the margins for error will take care of that.

I see no geographical monopoly on the good guys, they come from unexpected quarters sometimes but the again so do those at the bottom of the pile. In the last year I have had a young 21 year old local Qatari who will be seriously good if he can keep his focus and not get too big-headed... and two young Brazilians who are a credit to their nation. Likewise a couple of young Japanese looked like they will do well. Some disappointments from Europe and elsewhere so the so-called 'developed' world under EASA and FAA cannot be complacent.

Nobody should take this as a scientific survey but the info so far is certainly telling a story.

G.