PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 wreckage found
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2011, 11:06
iceman50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aguadalte

For me, the only impression I got was that the aircraft was "much heavier" than it was supposed to be. If this had happened on an A310 or on a B767, one would had noticed immediately the "need for compensation". When cleaning from flaps 1 to zero, despite of doing it 10kts over S speed, we had an "Alpha Lock" advisory and the climb took us longer than expected also. We have ended up our flight with a consumption of 4 Tons more than expected.
To further expand on my short reply before, I suggest you had your figures way wrong for the take off or retracted them too early, as to get an Alpha Lock you must have been below 154kts and at 252 tonnes I think your S speed would have been a LOT higher than 144kts!!!

SLATS ALPHA / SPEED LOCK FUNCTION
This function inhibits slats retraction at high angle-of-attack and/or at low speed. The SFCCs use a corrected angle-of-attack (alpha), or air speed information from the ADIRUs to inhibit slat retraction.
If alpha exceeds 8.5 degrees, or the speed falls below 148 knots, the retraction from position 1 to 0 is inhibited.
The inhibition is removed when alpha falls below 7.5 degrees, or when the speed exceeds 154 knots. In this case, the slats automatically retract to 0.
The function is not active if:
— Alpha exceeds the above values after the lever has been set to 0.
— Aircraft is on the ground, with the speed below 60 knots.
CONF / Dozy

The reference for the sidestick priority

Sidestick priority logic
— When only one pilot operates the sidestick his demand is sent to the computers.
— When the other pilot operates his sidestick in the same or opposite direction both pilots inputs are algebraically added. The addition is limited to single stick maximum deflection.
Note : In the event of simultaneous input on both sidesticks (2° deflection off the neutral position in any direction) the two green SIDE STICK PRIORITY lights on the glareshield come on. In addition on A330E, the "DUAL INPUT" voice message activates).
A pilot can deactivate the other stick and take full control by pressing and keeping pressed his takeover pushbutton.
For latching the priority condition, it is recommended to press the takeover pushbutton for more than 40 seconds. The takeover pushbutton can then be released without losing priority.
However, at any time, a deactivated stick can be reactivated by momentarily pressing either takeover pushbutton. If both pilots press their takeover push buttons, the last pilot to press will get the priority.
Note : If an autopilot is engaged, the first action on a take over pushbutton will disengage it.
I think the only way to keep the stick deactivated would be to NOT release the button after the 40 seconds!

Last edited by iceman50; 30th Aug 2011 at 11:22. Reason: Addition of sidestick info.