PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2011, 10:19
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK. Allow me to toss in a few of my own. The investigation has only begun but evidently, you seem to already have the reasons and more importantly, the necessary solutions.

1. Some one from management becomes man enough to hand over his resignation.
Who and, more importantly, why?

2. Over haul the ever going down training department.
Improvement is always good. What do you recommend?

3. Use of thurst Reversers in all weather conditions
Why? Are you also advocating the use of Medium Autobrake regardless of runway length or surface condition? How about TOGA thrust, full length, for all takeoffs? Since you seem uncomfortable with the discretionary use of reverse thrust, you may also wish to review OM-A 8.9.12.15 on the policy regarding the use of reverse thrust to make sure you are using it appropriately. Also, you may wish to do some additional reading on landing on slippery runways. You are probably already aware that there may be cases that you should actually cancel reverse thrust when on a slippery runway.

4. Review the upgrade policy.
Why? The Captain was experienced enough

5. No requirement to file an ASR for diversion and Go arounds.
Management was already ahead of you on this one. There is NO requirement to file an ASR for diversion or go around. The list of mandatory occurances is on the bottom of the back side of the ASR form. Even more information is in OM-A Chapter 11 and OM-A Chapter 2.3

6. Increase the blue line requirements.
Same as for nr.4

7. Cancel the Mix fleet flying.
None of the crew of 270 were qualified for mix fleet

8. All Subcontinent flights will not be preceeded by additional sectors.
Was that a factor in this accident?

9. There must be a cap on maximum numbers of night turn arounds per line.
This was a nightstop flight for the flight deck crew. I would agree, though with your sentiment that Cabin Crew should be kept together with the flight deck crew.

10. Intensive training on Runway Excursions.
Intensive training on this, intensive training on that. Sign up now for the Special High Intensity Training (****). You may be relatively new at Gulf Air but we did have training on excursions and overruns a few years ago. The Training Department seems to try to incorporate lessons learned from incidents/accidents (I expect some stuff from AF447 in the future and probably from this one too). To provide annual intensive training on anything and everything that can go wrong on an airplane is not exactly feasable the Company or trainee. I agree that there is room for more training but I don't really fancy they idea of a month-long Loooooong Event either.

Please Feel free to add your inputs, While management are busy in refining the seat belt recycleing procedure."
I don't have an issue with intelligent discussion on accidents that are based on facts or more importantly, provide constructive solutions based on real data. While some of what you wrote might have a modicum of merit to it, more than anything it sounds like another jab.

More importantly though, if you do have information or suggestions for improvement then why don't you put it in writing to the people on First Floor, Wing A or even schedule a face to face meeting with them? Safety is our responsibility and if you aren't part of the solution then you are part of the problem. I am sure that they can make time for you.