PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hour Building / USA, Nam, SA or elsewhere..
Old 30th Aug 2011, 07:54
Hitbacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, Prairie Air Service in Benton, Kansas only has one 150 that it rents to students under training, but since they are highly specialized in multi engine training the aircraft sometimes sits around longing for action at 75 $ per hour (current rate, wet). Housing is with full meals for 750 $ a month if you are a student... won't get much cheaper unless you tour the U.S. in the rented plane and sleep under the wing in a tent ;-).

At Augusta Municipal, which is also just outside of Wichita, they have three 150s for the same rate if that 150 at Benton is not available, actually it is 40 $ dry if I think a little harder. Contact their FBO (fixed base operator) for details. Or McPherson Airport, just north of Wichita, has another 150 or 152 for 75 $ wet. All those prices are 2 months old, as opposed to the published rates.

Kansas will teach you cross wind landings, people are really nice and helpful, Wichita's claim to be the aviation capital of the world has some merits (Stearman, Cessna, HawkerBeechcraft, Boeing, plus museums and an incredible density in airfields and air bases). Permanent free approaches into Class Bravo etc.

I am doing my modular training over there (100 hrs still missing thus sitting in an office in good ol' Europe to stash some cash), good luck with getting as far as possible with that 25 k - the way I see it you can finish your FAA CPL with that easily. Do the theory at home, fly over there, pass the written exams, get TSA clearance for the IR and ME whilst hourbuilding - all you need is the ticket to get there, say three months for the flying part (2250 $ housing), three checkride fees plus written fees (3 x 450 $ = 1350 $), 16 hrs sim (at 60 $ = 960 $) and 20 hrs Multi time (around 250 $/ hr plus 40 $/ hour instructor = 5800 $), which leaves you with about 145 hrs of discovering the sky over the U.S. (10.875,00 $). Even with a cost overrun of 40 hours you are still within budget range... just a thought. Or do glider flying in SA or Namibia first, hours are fully validated on the FAA license up to 150 hrs (though obviously that is a rather theoretical thought, 50 hrs PIC x/c plus IR plus CPL prep wor and ME will always take say another 116 hrs in powered aircraft anyway).

I was surprised what kind of rates you can get when you make a couple of phone calls. Cheapest 172, a decent one as well, was at Strother Field, Kansas, if you want to fly with a little more shoulder space or with two or three guys. If you get another hourbuilder you can divide 96 $ by two (if the SA CAA recognizes that self-taught MCC, but total time is total time. Right?)