PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 19:57
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HarryMann.... It was the PNF who'd recently returned from rest. PF had been in his seat since departure.
Duh! Thanks, I should have double-checked, going back a long time now.

At least some other suggestions about fitness for control have come out of it

Something was up with the PF for sure, and I agree the distinction in handling the stick seems starkly contrasted.

All these human factors are open for speculation, such as whether PNF's confidence and subsequent assertiveness was knocked a little by PF being given 'Command' ?

But it is speculation that we can never prove, in 4 minutes of extremely sparse exchanges... Not being a native French speaker I personally find the 'go up'; 'go down' comments somewhat strange for pilots*... in English it would almost certainly be 'slow down' or 'faster', or get the 'Nose down' or up. Strange as there is not an up and down control in an aircraft, that is a secondary and dependent motion, not to be taken for granted - hence another subtle sign that there was little comprehension of a stalled (and unresponding state).

*Has it been shown that the true meaning was '...(we go up) Indicative as opposed to Imperative (or even Subjunctive)

Last edited by HarryMann; 29th Aug 2011 at 20:12.