PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 14:16
HarryMann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The discussion seems to be oscillating between flight systems and instrumentation
.. and human factors.

On the latter, both Ian and Dozy make good points...and no, they're not mutually exclusive so a good contribution

Could I remind everyone, that if I remember correctly, PF had recently arrived in the cockpit from a rest period.
Do we know what this rest period consisted of?
I am suggesting that cockpit crew recently back from rest (sleep even) are not the ideal choice for immediate command, when another is up to date with the flight.
Perhaps it is rather naive or let's say simplistic thinking that freshly rested pilot is the more alert and certainly not up to speed as much as an exisiting crew member.

I think we all know that some people wake up and brighten up quickly, othjers take a lot longer - that is, those that can 'cat nap' and revive almost instantly well and those that can't.
Being one of the latter, I can imagine the lack of considered thought and action when confronted with a sudden shock - especially if not anticipating the responsibility of being placed in charge of the flight.

== Yaw strings and pitch strings at night ===

No problem, miniature lightweight LED ribbons/tapes are now being used in many applications, the batteries being small enough to be encompassed within the string I should think... go on, give it a go