PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Decision to axe Harrier is "bonkers".
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 12:26
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm Off

Perhaps you should have read the proceeding posts to see what and who it was I was quoting? Thanks for your opinion anyway.

FB11

I seem to remember hearing about RN jet jocks being made redundant so they cannot all have gone stateside? I first heard about the RN guys flying USN Super Hornets in March last year, but I did not put two and two together - perhaps this post by orca gives us a clue as to where the idea came from and for what reason?

Can preparing for the next decade, and being ready for the crises of this one, not be achieved simultaneously?

I can remember sitting in a room in late 2009 and getting a "state of the Navy" type briefing, and hearing the Fleet Air Arm Command Warrant Officer outlining some of the steps (more Harrier embarkations for one) needed to develop the skills needed for CVF, and to give future carrier crews a solid grounding in working with embarked fixed wing aircraft.

jamesdevice

Thanks for spotting the typo. Not even the MOD can delay a ship's commissioning by 900 years.

In a previous post I wondered whether there would be a post Libya review of defence policy (not just with respect to Carriers - but all sorts of things). A recent online article asks a similar question:

An indefensible position - From Total Politics

The report of the defence select committee of 3 August, 2011 considered the impact of the Strategic Defence and Security Review and the National Security Strategy. The chairman of the committee, James Arbuthnot, was withering in his assertion that these represent: “... a clear example of the need for savings overriding the strategic security of the UK and the capability requirements of the armed forces”.

SDSR and the related National Security Strategy did not predict the Arab Spring, intervention in Libya, or other things that have happened since October 2010.

Does the use of Apaches from Ocean (and naval gunfire and SSN launched Tomahawks) represent a continuing need for shipborne assets that can hit targets ashore at short notice?