PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 11:27
Wannaberightseat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in Hong Kong

Hi everyone,

I have read the entire thread of this forum and I can find alot of information but not the right answers to my questions.

After doing research, it looks like the cost of rent is around HK$20,000 per month for about 1100sq.ft in Discovery Bay.

I'm not adverse to living elsewhere where there are no expats, but to begin, I think this would seem the most sensible option.

The reason I mention Discovery Bay is because I have heard that is where most of the expats live. How true is this?

Where do the other expats generally live? I have heard that some live on HK Island. Which districts in particular?

I have been to Honk Kong several times before and know the haggling culture. I have heard, but not sure if it is true, that you haggle on rent prices??? I would have thought these would have been fixed as property and real estate is so expensive. Some feedback would be appreciated.

Looking at rental prices, the cost of buying an apartment and the blogs of people saying that we cadets will be 'stuck' in Hong Kong for up to 10 years before getting a base, would it not make financial sense to purchase???

Any positive feedback is appreciated. If you want to moan about the current contract the fine, but we have all heard it before and e will all take it into consideration.

Thanks