PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172L flap switch
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 11:13
EDMJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This reminds me of the following story, from another airfield I used to fly from - but don't try this at home:

A fellow pilot was returning to land with two passengers on board in the club C172P. He touched down with flaps fully extended, and for unknown reasons suddenly veered almost perpendicularly off the runway, into the safety zone. In front of him was a narrow river, a row of trees and a highway (in that order). Instead of letting the aircraft come to a standstill in what remained of the safety zone, he panicked and applied full throttle. Our trusty C172 staggered into the air, flew through a gap in the trees (but nonetheless hit some), crossed the highway at an "altitude" which would have resulted in collision has a bus or lorry crossed the aircraft's path and continued clawing for altitude. Eventually, climbing at an AoA which does not form part of the POH, sufficient altitude was gained to return and make a successful landing.

The flaps remained fully extended for the entire "circuit".

The aircraft required a new propeller, a new engine, new engine cowlings, new wheel pants, a new wing strut and major structural surgery to one of the wings.

I've been a big fan of C172's ever since.