PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 10:35
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter

crewmeal

Unless there are any major surprises between now and November, winter will be similar to last year. Air Malta & Cyprus Airways have gone as has flybe Frankfurt and I assume Mahan Air.

On the plus side the Air France A318's will add capacity and Lufthansa Munich should be up as it appears two of the three flights will be by 116 seat 195's.

SAS add a Saturday CR9 to Copenhagen and of course the BMI A320 covers the loss of seats on Frankfurt.

Ryanair are operating the same number of flights as are baby. Monarch are operating less unfortunately due to Ryanair arriving on FUE and increasing ACE. Although the reduction in Larnaca and Tenerife is a surprise especially the former considering the CY withdrawal.

I think there are two or three net increases in Aer Lingus flights per week, Saturday Cork, Saturday Shannon and possibly Sunday Dublin (not sure about that one).

PIA could be down as the 77W operated last winter and I am not sure about this one. CO, LX, SN, KL, TK, CF, AF (LYS), BE all look similar.

iT Charter wise, a bit of shuffling here due Egypt cancellations and I would say it is down slightly.

pwalhx

Air Nostrum Madrid for a start.Proven market for passengers just needs the right airline and right aircraft to give it a chance. I believe the Baby 733 service was not profitable despite the 80% load factors and it is very noticeable that out of the "fab four" routes they dropped a few years back, only Madrid has not been re-instated.

It is not always a case of attracting new airlines but perhaps persuading the ones they have to expand although with baby that it is more difficult due to what is going on but LH to the new Berlin springs to mind for June 2012, SAS Stockholm (although they might be happy to feed via CPH as LH might with Berlin via FRA).

flybe with their Nordic connections now would be another candidate eventually for Helsinki with a Finnair code-share (an obvious one) to feed the long-haul HEL hub and Arlanda perhaps although it seems the Nordic arm with be using Bromma.

These are not routes which will spring up overnight but certainly plenty for the future.

On the bright side for next summer Monarch Preveza, Chania and Kefalonia are all bookable as IT flights with no schedule flight reductions as yet to accommodate them and this should mean at least five aircraft on a Sunday.

I am still hoping that Monarch have more to come for BHX in 2012.

Pete