PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 10:28
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chu Chu and others - this is an interesting

This is where pilots may become obsolete. Computers doing it right can recover from singularly amazing upsets. Sure, this is a model. And with enough power you can fly a lawnmower and control it. This one is a DARPA project. So I suspect the cheats have been turned off. Only the Collins adaptive technology remains to save the plane.

Sufficient data existed on AF447. The meatware failed. It failed partly because data needed was not present in the cockpit in a form the pilots appreciated. It failed partly because the pilots were not trained to fly the plane in unusual configuration where dial-a-flight didn't work and most of the "protections" had vanished. Nor were they encouraged to practice flying the plane. Finally the software design did not permit or make feasible flying in a simulated ALT2 environment for practice.

If the airlines are not going to train pilots and provide pilots with all the equipment that might be needed when going gets tough and instruments are all you have, I for one would not want to fly the plane under those circumstances even given the otherwise sterling flight safety records they have.