PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - best schools in south Africa
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 09:30
Shrike200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I may use Proppilots answer as a guide to why 43 Airschool is often recommended:

The course at 43 is very clearly defined and presented quite consistently by the instructors. I would equate something like that to being ISO certified in an industrial setting, ie using a consistent, documented method to ensure the quality of the final product meeting certain defined standards. This therefore minimises (but does not remove entirely of course) the individual variations between instructors, whereas with other schools the quality of the course is almost entirely defined by whatever instructor you happen to get. Generalities, but still...

That said, the advice given here is quite correct - a good instructor at another school, combined with the proper amount of homework will get you to the same point for a lot less money. I disagree on the comments of 'attitude' here. Young/junior instructors would have to be literally retarded to believe that, in the SA job market, they are entitled to a 'right hand seat in a shiny jet'. Their individual qualities as an instructor will vary of course - instruction is one of those jobs which should be described as a 'calling'. You have to want to instruct to make the best of it, and not all instructors actually want to do it - they simply needed a start, or first job with which to begin getting paid to fly. Which of course still doesn't mean that they're 'bad' instructors, just that they're probably looking for a way our/forward (one can hardly blame them after all)

I did instruction for a reasonable amount of time, and it was a very satisfying job, but there's only so much you want to do before you'd like to move on. I feel qualified to comment here since I worked at both 43 Airschool and other flight schools as an instructor before moving on to contract work and I've seen the differences between schools. I'm not going to recommend a school however - it'll be up to individual situation/preferences.