PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 29th Aug 2011, 02:25
DRPAM007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maxrated,

Thanks, I'll take it that your practical safety enhancement initiative for the Sudan, is the installation of 800 windsocks, which I hope are still within their valid shelf life after spending 15 years in a container in port Sudan.
BTW, I dont know where you came by the information that Sudan (as impoverished as it is) has up to 800 airports, landing strips or even heliports combined. I know Sudan should have not more 19 paved runways and about 130 landing surfaces. With 38 of those landing strips being less than 3000 feet long (914m). Yet you mention 800 airstrips.
Are you sure these are legal landing strips, or those used for subterfuge and other nefarious activities? I find that highly disturbing, especially with porous borders and lack of radar coverage in that area. If the information you give is true, then the government of Sudan is not aware of the existence of your 800 airstrip, and they'll be keen to know who owns or authorised these extra 600+ landing strips.

We do appreciate and applaud the sacrifice and humanity of genuine aid agencies and NGO's in the Sudan and Africa as a whole. However, there's a lot more economic and political activities that take place on under the guise of aid.

We'll all try and stay focused on the theme from now on, shall we?

Last edited by DRPAM007; 4th Sep 2011 at 13:18.