PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Go RNZAF
Thread: Go RNZAF
View Single Post
Old 22nd Oct 2002, 02:19
Albatross

The upshot of all this was....................

Stunt gets wings cut for pilot
22 October 2002
By SETH ROBSON

A Royal New Zealand Air Force captain has been stood down from flying duties as punishment for buzzing Jade Stadium in his C130 Hercules.

Spectators at the Canterbury-Auckland NPC semi-final on Friday night ducked for cover when the aircraft flew low over the stadium in a manoeuvre the pilot later said was aimed at supporting the match and raising the profile of the air force.

The Chief of Air Force, Air Vice Marshal John Hamilton, said yesterday that the Hercules was travelling at 1000 feet – a legal height for aircraft flying over built-up areas – but the pilot had shown poor judgment.

"I was disappointed about the decision (to buzz the stadium) in that it showed poor judgment, given the international circumstances we find ourselves in," Air Vice Marshal Hamilton said.

The pilot, a flight lieutenant with more than eight years experience, had been removed from flying duties pending possible disciplinary action.

Air force planes had buzzed stadiums in the past without causing concern, but those incidents had been during the day, Air Vice Marshal Hamilton said.

Unauthorised low flying was a serious offence in the air force.

"Low flying is dangerous. If you are doing it through bravado and don't have the full skills the risk is higher. It will get people dismissed from the service, particularly during a wings course," Air Vice Marshal Hamilton said.

"We expect a certain spirit in our people, an attitude that is part of completing the range of difficult tasks we undertake on a regular basis.

"However this attitude must be balanced with skill and judgment. In this case I am disappointed by the captain's decision and in my view it showed poor judgment," Air Vice Marshal Hamilton said.

Canterbury Rugby Football Union (CRFU) chief executive Hamish Riach said the air force's response in standing the pilot down was "entirely appropriate".

Mr Riach said he had spoken to the air force yesterday and was satisfied a thorough investigation was being undertaken.

"The pilot has issued a public apology. That is a serious level of response, which was entirely appropriate – it was a stupid thing to do.

"The context of this is appalling, of course (rugby fans) were alarmed and scared. The pilot made what I regard as a serious lack of judgement," Mr Riach said.

Faxes and emails continued streaming into CRFU offices yesterday, from people frightened by the low-flying Hercules.