PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2011, 20:40
GayFriendly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I for one don't crave new airlines at BHX (although yes of course it would be nice to see more scheduled carriers) what concerns me more is the ones we have don't seem to be able to (or want to?) expand their operations there - FR & WW have a much reduced operation compared to 2008 and can't seem to get above the 4 based units. MON to be fair have bucked the trend and could introduce more sunshine scheduled routes but what of BE - the 175 would seem perfect for BHX city routes but not even a sniff of anything new. If based carriers can't expand what hope of new ones? As I have said before the runway extension will not attract a sudden rush of long haul flights, like PK and his team seem to believe leaving BHX as a spoke in the Star Alliance and Sky Team worlds with a few Euro sunshine and niche long haul routes thrown in for good measure

Just for interest, GLA has in the last few weeks announced new routes to MAD, FCO, SVG and NQY, as well as increased VS capacity to MCO next summer, this from an airport that has been haemorraging passengers at at even worse rate than BHX. Are there any new routes to be announced from BHX? Thought not......