PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Engine Taxi
Thread: No Engine Taxi
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2011, 20:28
Sygyzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Barking

Not disrespectful at all. Go and have a read of this-search for: Tugs versus aircraft engines: a ground handling question.

An electric motor might just work on a turbo prop, but where's the fuel saving there. If a bloody great tug can't manage a fully laden 777/747/380/340/330 (and can just cope with an unladen one) you will have to have a pretty big electric motor to do what the tug can't. And how will you power the motor-don't tell me-by running the engines to provide generated power. Wow, I wish I'd thought of that. If the electric motor reduces the payload by one seat due to it's weight (and I suspect it will be rather heavier than that) then the beancounters will have none of it in the first place. Bear in mind that you will have to carry this piece of equipment everywhere, attached somehow to the gear, and retract with it. Electric motors are essentially copper windings and heavy. Concorde didn't even have an APU due to weight problems and she guzzled gas like no other.

If you travel on the London Underground district line you can go to Dagenham East, which is where you should get off. That's two stops past Barking (mad).

No disrespect intended of course...just my thoughts....which you invited.