PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is aviation in Africa really unsafe?
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2011, 20:01
maxrated

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're obviously quite knowledgeable and intelligent
My high school report suggests otherwise...

I was expecting something more poignant from you than installing 800 windsocks 15 year old in Sudan?

I put it to you that YOU were expecting something more poignant for YOU.

I appologise that my suggestion was not grandiose enough for you in which case please could you arrange EU funding and tech support for SSR radar controll from Cape To Cairo by the end of next year, there's a good chap... let us know when you are done....

Most foreigners/aid workers in Africa are looking for 'Glory' projects which will make them look good on their resume's, when the basics need to be adressed first.

Admittedly the windsock project isnt grandiose enough for you but one should remember that it doesnt help to try something massive like installing SSR radar controll from Cape to Cairo (would be nice though) when there's no electricity in Zimbabwe to power the runway lights of Harare, or the jet fuel in Kinshasa is always contaminated or the ATC's in Luanda fall asleep on the job every now and then, or the Zambian Airforce extorts money from tourist charters into that country or the Russian cargo crews over Africa dont talk on the assigned radio frequencies and dont observe semi circular altitude rules or the fire engines in Khartoum Airport have no water or chems in them or pilots of aid aircraft continue to be kidnapped in Dafur and Somalia.
(etc etc etc see thread on you know you are in Africa when.....)

Like I keep saying, sort the basics out first.

Is that to make it safer for the drug and arms dealers that spread conflict in the region?

Actually its to enable the multitude of aircraft flying for the Red Cross, World Food program, UNHCR in that region ( projects that I have been flying on) to be able to deliver Doctors, Nurses, medical and food aid other essential services to the starving people of the region.

Sudan is strewn with aircraft that over ran runways and bush strips on account that they inadvertantly landed with tailwinds, hence my less than grandiose suggestion to you regarding the windsocks stuck in the container in Port Sudan... sorry.

BTW DRPAM007, what do you suggest needs to be done to enhance air safety in Africa ??

When you started this thread you asked a for peoples opinions but you dont seem to be receptive to any of the suggestions from people who actually live work and fly in the region for a living, are you looking for a specific line of reasoning in which case feel free to elabourate ?

Regards
Max