PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Met. Radar ON during Taxi
View Single Post
Old 21st Oct 2002, 23:31
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radiated energy.

During the Vietnam conflict a US Air Force C-141 (or possibly a C-130) was taxiing in with its’ RADAR still turned on. The radiation painted a US Army Cobra, which was running up on the hardstand prior to take off. The radiated energy was so strong that it overcame the grounding on the missiles that they all fired and went down to the end of the field and exploded. The ammunition for the gun was electrically fired and all of it exploded in the ammo bay, which is just below the pilots. Needless to say they never knew what hilt them.

On a more personal note I was a techrep on the Atlas ICBM and was walking along side an Atlas, which was in the coffin complex lying down. The Air Force was conducting a RADAR check on the missile guidance system and the radiated energy caused two retrorockets to fire. They were several feet above my head and it was like standing next to two large gage shotguns going off next to my ears.