PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Fear of Falling????
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2011, 10:07
Deano777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KNEIVEL77

I'm a 3,200hr airline pilot & flight instructor and I hate heights. You will not catch me up a ladder or on the edge of a tall building. I have an inane fear of falling over the edge. It's not actually the height that I am scared of, it's the thought of me falling off it. I went to Australia on holiday a few years ago and I was watching the sun set on top of my hotel which was about 30 stories high. There was a small wall on the edge of the building about waist high and I couldn't get the image out of my head of me saying to myself "I'll just sit on the ledge and dangle my feet over the edge", and then slipping and falling off. It is like this every time I am near anything with height. When I go to the local Mall and go up the top of John Lewis' for a cuppa they have a glass panel that stops you falling 4 floors to the basement where the escalators are. My kids lean against the glass and then I start having those thoughts again, but this time it's me doing a Michael Jackson and dangling my kid over the edge (of course I never would) and then accidentally letting go. It's pretty hard to explain but it sends shivers down my spine. Put me in an aeroplane though and those fears disappear, as I am sure they will for you in time. Eventually the view from an aeroplane will look normal to you and you won't even appreciate how high you are.

Good luck.