PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2011, 05:19
loxosceles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested non-pilot observer here. I've read much of the AF447 threads here and on airliners.net, and was fascinated by this accident when it first occurred.

One thing struck me though in the last thread here. In post 1346 in thread 5, "xcitation" brought up airbus manual specs stating that during high speed protection the flight computer adds "positive nose up g demand to the sidestick order." I would like to know, definitively: would such a computer-added input be included in the input traces sent to the FDR? If so, it seems possible there was a logic error that caused added nose up g demand during an UAS situation, and that nose up was included in the recorded data from the sidestick. In that case, the PF may not have been actually holding stick back input, and there would be no way to tell from the ADR traces.

I would like assurance that the input data traces from the FDR are raw inputs, and are never altered at all by the computer, in any situation. If they can be altered, then the PF's input traces are useless, because it could be PF error, or it could be computer error that is indistinguishable from PF error.