PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 28th Aug 2011, 05:09
gums

Received 56 Likes on 17 Posts
yaw and AoA indicators

Yeah, Grity, if you could see the AoA string sucker, then you might/could use it! Night could be a problem.

We had a "yaw string" on the T-33, and that sucker worked up to 400 knots or so. Couldn't see it at night, but in daylight it helped one to learn to coordinate rudder with aileron.

A thorough training curriculum seems best recommendation from the accident board at this time, IMHO. Real planes at real conditions and with an experienced instructor. More value than with any simulator ever built.

I also want to take exploit this post to challenge one contributor that asserts the best way to stop on a slick runway is to watch the speed indications on the gauges. Beam me up! If I hit the brakes and I don't "feel" some effect, but "feel" I am actually going faster, then I don't need to look at some steenkeeeng gauge. I know that I am sliding on the ice or water. If anti-skid is working, I'll see some effect, and feel it as well. I'll guarantee most pilots here can sense the lack of decelleration faster than the airspeed/groundspeed gauge can reflect. The same applies to when a good crosswind is present when rolling out on a slick runway. Ain't no gauge invented except a HUD with a good flight path vector that is still working with weight-on-wheels that shows you that you are sliding off the runway. You look out the windshield and feel your skid. Simply holding a heading won't help.

On the other hand, relying too much, if at all, on your human senses while in bad weather most often leads to disaster. Gotta trust the instruments ( except 'bus airspeed in icing conditions). Our human sensors are great for detecting initial body rates, but degrade very quickly after a few seconds. Our human gee sensing is fairly close to what a machine sensor would detect, but that is not good for survival after the initial pitch input on the controls. It simply lets you know that the plane is reacting to your initial input. After that you had better trust the instruments.