PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB says EMS accident rate is too high
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2011, 18:43
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vh - you can be rude about people if you like but I'm afraid that, whether you like his comments, attitude or the individual, or not, there is no doubt that if the measures mentioned by SM were taken, the already risky business of EMS flying, which is multiplied many-fold by doing so at night, with one engine and invariably no autopilot, would be significantly reduced. IMHO, whilst SM item 3 (two crew) is great if you can afford it, items 1 & 2 would be a good place to start - SPIFR, with the proper equipment, is significantly preferable, and less risky, than more holes in the ground.

What might have been a lifeline for one, in this case, turned out to be a death-line for four. It's not the first time nor, sadly, is it likely to be the last, until someone takes responsibility and legislates some significant risk-reduction measures. Flying cheaper aircraft to make a quick buck is not the way to go, IMHO, & I dread to think what EMS aircraft & crew insurance premiums are like in the USA, although I suspect they're subsidised by all that medical insurance that pays so much for the flights in the first place?