PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 question.
Thread: V1 question.
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2011, 12:23
john_tullamarine

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Aside - for those who might have any concern as to my delicate ego .. have no angst, for I have a thick skin and broad shoulders ...

Inexperienced I may be in many matters .. but in respect of a few I have a passing knowledge. The secret, as most older chaps have come to understand, is to refrain from comment on the former and be prudent in the latter. Occasionally I fail to observe my advice in respect of the former .. there is always the expert who, gently or otherwise, draws my impertinent ignorance to my notice ...

The AA DC10 at ORD would have been just fine if they hadn't followed company procedures and slowed down to V2

While not being at all critical of the poster's observation, it is pertinent to note that, at the time, Industry standard teaching was to fly V2 OEI which the crew did. This was one of those rare out of left field events where the then current rulebook item needed to be ignored .. had the crew had any clue as to the true nature of the failure.

As I recall, it was this mishap, specifically, which led to a revision in thinking to adopt the current approach whereby one holds the present speed at the failure (unless that be excessively high, typically in excess of V2+20-30 or thereabouts).

If you want to play with the big dogs - don't pee like a puppy.

Priceless. Do you claim rights for this observation or may anyone use it on occasion ?