PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 6
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2011, 09:23
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJ2
The one question I have on this then, is about the elevator which clearly had aerodynamic authority all the way down. If, after the stall was fully-developed and even with the THS at -13.5deg, if the SS had been placed in the full ND position and held there, depending upon when this was done, (earlier the better of course!), and given the ND pitching moment afforded by the THS, would such elevator position be sufficient to eventually get the nose down or would it partially/fully stall given the already-positive AoA of the THS, and lose all effectiveness thereby?
Now ask the important question. Could the THS deliver ENOUGH lift at any setting to eventually produce an ND attitude? It's not sufficient that the THS and elevator produce lift. It must be sufficient lift to materially affect the orientation of the plane.

As a thought experiment a stiff sheet of cardboard held outside the car window tilted at 60 degrees produces some lift. But it's very small compared to the lift when it is nearly horizontal. And it depends highly on the velocity of the car. Memory if playing with such stuff when I was MUCH younger suggests the curve involved is not a simple lift proportional to some constant times the cosine of the angle relative to horizontal. The upward force needed is, however, proportional to the cosine of the angle of the plane to horizontal.

Can the THS/Elevator combo win this race? I don't have the data to know one way or another. I am sure simply generating lift "ain't enough."