PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Woodford visit before it closes
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2011, 02:04
avturboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

SSD, I understand what you say about the bigger picture around the provision of aviation facilities, I think we have a common recognition about the need for vision. However in the current climate I'm just not sure where the folks with both the vision and funding are to be found.

I have a good understanding of the provision of facilities at other locations, in particular the 'satellite' facilities around London; relating this to MAN is a classic chicken vs. egg situation. The problem as I see it is who is going to demonstrate the vision (with the appropriate financial backing) to provide the facilities many of us would like to see.

For anyone to step up to the plate will require one of two options, either someone with more money than sense who simply has a passion for aircraft and is willing to speculate; or; someone who has the money and is willing to recognise there is a strong (documented) business case which demonstrates there is an underlying demand for facilities which needs to be met.

The problem is that I don't see the lack of GA & business GA facilities close to MAN being cited as a major disincentive to business development in the north west. Between, motorways and public transport by both air and rail MAN (on paper at least!) is well provided for.

A successful GA field in the vicinity of MAN would first be a GA business hub that would also offer facilities to the wider recreational GA community. Sadly at this moment in time I can see there is an 'interest' in such a facility but I'm not that the interest can be converted into real demand.